Monday, July 11, 2011

Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream


As I was cooking yesterday, I realized this process free thing is kinda boring. (Although I do have some good recipes I'm trying out today.) For dinner last night we enjoy baked chicken, hot potatoes, seasoned steamed carrots and broccoli and green beans. Woohoo! So that I don't bore you, I decided to pull a recipe I used and photographed from the beginning of the summer.

Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream!

At the beginning of the summer I usually take the kids to a strawberry patch for fresh strawberries. We waited too late this year so we did the next best thing....Sam's Club! They typically have really good produce and while we did miss the picking experience, the strawberries were DELISH! So we made ice cream!

This is my on hand Strawberry Ice Cream recipe. I have strayed a few times and really regretted it! This one is HARD TO BEAT!


Sarah even found a heart shaped one!


The first step is to puree the strawberries in a blender. It's up to you how chunky you like it. I prefer NO CHUNKS! I don't like the texture of the strawberry chunks when they're frozen.


Lovely. You know, strawberries, along with many other red fruits, are packed with phytochemicals, which help reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease and urinary tract infections. They also contain antioxidants (which fight harmful free radicals) like lycopene. Told you I use to be a health nut!


Next grab 2 precious children to whisk the milk, sugar and salt. Does Josh look bored?
I'll put him to work!


Add the vanilla and cream to the mixture.


And whisk.

Then add the strawberry puree. A word to the wise, take the blade out before pouring it into the cream mixture. Notice that I didn't!


Mix it all up. It should look similar to this. Time to put it in the ice cream maker.

Don't forget the rock salt!



This is what it looks like after 30 minutes. It has thickened but not close to frozen. Also, I doubled the recipe so obviously, mine would take longer than yours if you don't double. Although once it starts to freeze, it happens quickly, so you may want to check it occasionally. Mine was ready in 40 minutes.


This is what it looked like! We were all too excited to eat the ice cream for me to remember to take a picture of it! Ooops! It really is insanely good! You should give it a try before the summer is over!!! Then send me a picture of your final product so I can post it!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. Having a 4th of July get together at a friends house. We always have vanilla and chocolate ice cream so I think I'll make strawberry. On your copy of the recipe I think it says 1 1/2 cups heavy cream,. Can't see the first #. Is this correct. Thanks for sharing a delicious sounding and easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. is there a link to the full recipe? I can't make out some of the measurements in the picture!

      Delete
  3. I too love strawberry. I have been waiting patiently for peak season, and it is finally here. I am going to the market.

    Zia
    I found the best Seattle SEO LHI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did I miss the recipe? It’s not complete on the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much vanilla and heavy cream? I can see that

    ReplyDelete