Friday, July 8, 2011

Charleston, South Carolina

Charleston, SC - Day 3


We took our precious time getting ready this morning.. We were going to wake up early, head to the beach, pick up a few star fish and lay out....but we were sleepy this morning, and it was a little chilly this morning..So instead we headed over to the Macaroon Boutique.

We took our macaroons to the battery park to enjoy a picnic under the large oak trees.

I got a dark chocolate, pistachio and raspberry macaroon. They were all good but the winner was.....

THE RASPBERRY FRENCH MACAROON.

The chocolate was scrumptious as well....but I lied, they weren't all good. In fact, the pistachio was really nasty..I ate one bight and I gave it to El!


Ellie got this chocolate croissant which was so beautiful and flaky and rich. Look at all of those layers!

I wish I had taken a picture of the lady who owned the Macaroon Boutique. We believe she was from Paris...so she knew what she was doing! I attempted to make French Macaroons once. They are RIDICULOUS.

I decided that it wasn't ok with me to come all the way to the beach and not get on a boat. We had already tried to find a sailing excursion but it was too early in the season. We ended up just hopping on a water taxi for a round trip around the Charleston Harbor.

Another glimpse of the USS Yorktown

Sally Tucker, this is for you! The guy running the taxi said that you can rent a private charter to sail to or from Tybee Island from Charleston...Spring Break 2012?

Dolphins were swimming all over the harbor.

Okay so as we were leaving Charleston for our kayak tour we discovered this wonderful street full of wonderful shops in all of their wonderfulness! We really didn't have time to stop but there was one little french store Ellie saw that she just had to go in. And I'm so glad that we did! It was filled with all kinds of neat trinkets, a lot of kitchen/entertaining and jewelry. Some of the jewelry dated back to....I don't remember...I just whispered to Ellie to find out but she's asleep...I'll get back to you on that! It was really old :)

I made two purchases in this store...they were very random...I'll show you in a minute.

I wish I had taken a picture of the man in this store. He was very helpful and very "Charleston-y". He was very well dressed and mannered. I thought people like him only lived in the Hampton's... Definitely not working in a shop called "Lily"...but I'm glad he did.

We ended up getting to the harbor for our kayak tour half an hour early and thought about what we should do. We decided to go ahead and change clothes and then look around...Except wait...Lauren forgot her kayaking clothes at the hotel...on another island. The guide recommended I not kayak in my jeans and cotton blouse and said he would wait on us to run to Wal Mart so that I could purchase some more appropriate kayaking attire..and so I did. Sorry for that run on sentence.

So if you have ever seen the show "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe you might remember this shrimp boat, Winds of Fortune. He went out with them one day, separated the shrimp from the sting rays, jelly fish and other sea creatures. He then had to pop off the heads of the shrimp. He also had to climb on something but I was too distracted watching the dolphins to care about what Bob had to say about it!

While we are talking about TV shows, this is the house from Army Wives. I've never seen it, but that's what Bob said, and whatever Bob says goes!

This pictures is for you, mom! Pelicans everywhere!

Ellie on her first kayaking trip. I was reminiscing my first kayak trip with Bob today. I was in Puerto Rico with my Aunt Lou, Paige and mom. We took a midnight kayak tour to the bio-luminescent bay. Our guide jumped out of his kayak into the dark water and he glowed. The microscopic organisms glow when they are touched. If I remember correctly it was a defense mechanism? It is one of my favorite places in the world!

Did I mention this was the never ending kayak tour? It was a sunset tour and I think Bob was just trying to take us around until the sun actually set....

I love this picture! It made me miss Riggins. He would love the water as much as I do! This dog was just chillin, hanging out over the side of the boat!

Finally back at the harbor. We were completely and utterly exhausted!

So Bob doesn't just kayak, he is also a diver. When he found out we were teachers he had something he wanted to show us. He pulled out this big box full of shark teeth and the inside of a sting ray's mouth (the hard part that they use to crack open crabs with).

When I started taking pictures of the shark teeth he told me that if I was going to take pictures it needed to be of something really good. Then he pulled out these GIANT shark teeth he found one time when he was diving. He said the shark, a megadon, I think was up to 70 feet long!!!!!!! I will double check that tomorrow. He gave me a postcard with shark tooth info on it! I'm too tired in bed right now. Sorry!

I told him there was a little boy in the kindergarten, one of my co workers sons, who loves sharks and asks to look at pictures of them online all of the time. He told me to pick out a few shark teeth for my classroom and one to give to her son! Oh by the way, this is Bob, our guide.

After our super long kayak trip I was starving and exhausted. I didn't know if I could stay awake long enough to eat, but I was so hungry I didn't know if I could sleep. Bob had recommended Vickory's for some great seafood, and since it was our last night we decided to man up and stay for dinner. It was a great little restaurant and fun atmosphere on the bay.

The view from our table...

We had to get an appetizer because we were so hungry. It was an artichoke dip with warm pita break. The dip was ok but the bread was deeelish! Ellie got the shrimp and sausage over cheese grits and I got the flounder and the grits. So good. Too much food. Diet starts tomorrow.

So that's it for our last day in Charleston. We leave tomorrow :( I could have spent another few days here easily. I guess I'll just have to come back! I know you are just DYING to see what I bought at Lilly today....Here it is!!

Charleston is the home to the only tea garden. Unfortunately we didn't have time to go but I did pick up some breakfast tea! I'm excited to try it. I should have made a cup tonight to get me through this blog. Sorry!

Do you know what the other thing in my picture is?

No, it's not a mini cupcake stand, it's a butter dish.. Super exciting, I know. It's one of those things that I don't need and I don't have room for but I'll have it to pull out at Christmas or Thanksgiving, if I remember....so someone remind me, please! I bet Paula Dean has one, and if Paula needs it, so do I!





Charleston, SC - Day 2

We started our day off with a walk down by the beach. Ellie spotted a starfish on the beach and we got so excited. Then we realized there were hundreds off them that had washed up on shore. We tried to throw a few back into the water...Most of them didn't have a chance. Really cool to see them though!

USS Yorktown

So back at Harding Ellie mentioned one day that she really wanted some macaroons...so I surprised her and made her some...some coconut macaroons. Turns out she wanted French macaroons. So I found this shop in Charleston and took Ellie, but it was closed. Go figure. We'll go tomorrow!

So we got cupcakes instead...

I would normally stay with a safe vanilla...

Or chocolate...

even possibly cinnamon swirl...

or strawberry...

...but not today...

Today I got a blueberry cupcake with lemon cream cheese frosting! Yum!

Yum yum!

We went to the old market and I got this antique ring. I love love love it!

Neat little park in downtown Charleston

We stopped for lunch at the Folly Beach Pier

Did I mention that I really love this ring?

We started lunch with this not-so-gourmet calamari

Fresh seafood! Grilled salmon Caesar salad

And for Ellie...grilled Mahi Mahi with asparagus, grit cakes and a mango salsa. I ordered this as well but they only had 1 piece of Mahi Mahi. Go figure!

Some people were fishing at the end of the pier and caught 2 large sting rays!

Best part of the day - Boone Hall Plantation

This is the most photographed road in the world. In 1743, the son of John Boone planted these oak trees down the drive to his home. It is also where he was buried.

Boone Hall is also where they filmed part of the movie "The Notebook", the mini series "North and South", and there were a few others but I don't remember them all.

The gardens...

I love the Spanish Moss


This is the pond from "The Notebook" where they go out in the boat!

When we booked our trip to Charleston I signed of for the Charleston groupon. We used it at the Mellow Mushroom :)



Spring Break? Yes, please!

My dear friend, Ellie, and I decided to head to Charleston, SC for spring break this year! We arrived this evening at our wonderful resort! We are TOO EXCITED! This is Ellie! Isn't she cute?!

We got an amazing deal ($94 a night) at the Wild Dunes Resort on the Isle of Palms, about 20 minutes outside of Charleston. We have a beautiful ocean view room for the next 3 days! We arrived at The Boardwalk Inn to complimentary valet parking. Perfect!

The Lobby

Walking down the boardwalk for a quick glimpse at the Atlantic...

The front porch of The Boardwalk Inn


Our cozy room...

El on our balcony...

The pool view from our balcony...

Bathroom...


We have a few things in mind for tomorrow. They may involve a visit to the Charleston Tea Plantation, shopping, yummy restaurants, a boat ride and a visit to Folly Beach...but who knows what we'll find! I'll post again tomorrow! Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment